Australia Migration, Immigration Australia, Migrating to Australia


Forgotten Password
Free Registration for Assistance | About Us | Contact us | Sitemap | Secure Client Log in
More info about Immigration Australia, Visa Australia

A Migration Lawyer is available

to assist you - Register now

Registered to Provide Migration Advice

Opening a Bank Account in Australia

Opening a Bank account in Australia -

The 100 Point System

If you want to open a bank or credit union account in Australia, you need to pass the '100 point' system to prove your identification. You may have a chance to open an account at an Australia migration expo.

  • Birth Certificate
    Citizenship Certificate

70 points

You can only get points for one item in this section

  • Drivers Licence (full / probationary / learner)
    Shooters Licence
    Public Service Employee ID card
    Commonwealth or State Government financial entitlement card (eg Pension card)

40 points

These cards must have a photograph or signature

  • Land Rates

35 points

Applies to home buyers or owners only

  • Any card on which your name appears:
    Medicare card
    Credit Card (only 1 per institution)
    Store Account card
    Video Store Card
    Library Card
    Union Card

25 points


  • Documents on which your name and address appear:
    Car registration
    Utility bill
    Rental receipts
    Records of another financial institution showing you've been a member for 12 months or more

25 points


Some points to note:

  • This system, while mechanistic, is arguably better than the identification system prevailing in the UK which seems to depend on the whim of a bank official.
  • It may not make a different whether you are an Australian business owner visa holder, or you underwent an assessment for an Australian work visa
  • These points may change at any time.
  • You may be able to go to an Australian migration expo for visiting some banks
  • There is no reason why a foreign birth certificate, passport, naturalisation certificate or driving licence shouldn't be accepted, but you will have to ask (and maybe ask to see a manager if necessary)
  • If you open an account within 6 weeks to 3 months (depending on the institution) of arriving to live in Australia, you will need only your passport. This concession only applies to banks, from what I've been told, not credit unions.





Forgotten Password